The first two chapters of Subjects Matter by Daniels and Zemelman
continued to emphasize what Wilhelm described, that reading must continue to be
taught through middle and high school and that this must be done across all
content areas, not just English. The two
situations described at the beginning of chapter one, the fast food unit and
the photosynthesis lesson, showed very clear examples of how reading should and
should not be incorporated into lessons.
The examples made me think about how I could create units and lessons
that are more like the fast food example.
Students will want to read material that means something to them and
makes them think about real world situations, instead of just reading facts in
a textbook.
The chapter goes on to discuss
school reform, national reading standards, and high stakes testing in America. It describes that in education, compared with
other nations, American students perform at the middle or toward the
bottom. The authors go on to say that
this is due to the poverty in America compared to that in higher ranking
nations. Daniels and Zemelman state that
“We do not have a ‘mediocre’ school system in this country; we have many
centers of true excellence, and we also have some shockingly underserved
students and communities. In this light, it now seems entirely appropriate to
use words like crisis and tragedy,” (pg. 13).
We discussed this topic in Dr. Brell’s FNED 546 class, and although the
blame for low performance cannot be put entirely on America’s schools, teachers
can do the best they can to help their students become better learners. One step to becoming better learners is using
reading in more meaningful and effective ways.
In chapter two, I started to think
about what I am actually doing and thinking while I am reading. The cricket, Columbus, and RNA excerpts all
provided examples of difficult readings for me that were confusing and did not
make sense. My future students could
feel this way about any reading in a science topic that they are unfamiliar
with. I will have to provide enough
background information on the topic and guide them through some thinking strategies
with their reading. I will be interested
to learn about more of the reading strategies that will be provided in future
chapters.
No comments:
Post a Comment