Chapters 4 and 5 of Daniels and Zemelman go on to discuss
more about reading across content areas, elaborate on different kinds of text
that can be used, and provide many strategies for reading. Chapter 4 is titled “Toward a Balanced Diet
of Reading” and it clearly discusses the many different types of text that can
be brought into classrooms of all contents. One thing that stuck with me from
this chapter was that when we are teachers, we need to help and encourage our
students to become real, lifelong readers.
This is something that should start when they are in middle and high
school. They should be reading material
that people in the real world are reading.
As adults, we read articles, books, magazines, websites, and other text
like this. It is not often that you find
someone curled up leisurely reading thick, hardcover textbook. Although I do still believe that textbooks
are valuable resources in the classroom, I now see that they must also be
supplemented with other kinds of text.
Something else that I took from this chapter was creating a classroom
library. This is something I would like
to do in my future classroom. I can imagine it filled with books, scientific magazines,
copies of articles found on the internet, and other valuable and engaging pieces
of text that hopefully students will enjoy reading.
Chapter 5 provides numerous examples of reading strategies
and discusses how they can be used. This
chapter was very valuable and I think it will be something I will continue to
look back on as I begin lesson planning and eventually teaching. I recently attended the RISTA annual
conference and one of the sessions I attended was based on how to integrate
common core reading standards into science classrooms. The presenters provided examples of some
lesson plans that incorporated some of the strategies discussed in the chapter. In one example, the teacher divided her class
up into groups of four or five and each group was assigned a different article
to read on the same topic. While they
were reading, they had to annotate the text and keep post-it notes. After
reading, each group had to answer the same set of questions on their different
readings. They were also asked to discuss the reading with their groups. The next day, the groups were mixed up so
that new groups were formed where each student in the new group had read a
different article. The students were then able to discuss each of their
readings and share their thoughts to create a poster on the topic. Some of the strategies students used in this
example were annotating the text, using post-it response notes, and turn and
talk. It was great to be able to see a
real-life example of how these strategies actually worked for a science
teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment