Monday, April 6, 2015

D&Z Chapters 10&11

I really enjoyed the chapter on inquiry because this is something that will be especially important to me as a science teacher.  In science, inquiry can be used to gain knowledge and understand scientific ideas.  It can also be used to investigate and the suggest explanations based on what has been found.  Not only is this strategy easy to incorporate into most units, it also provides students with opportunities to learn more independently.  This independent learning will be very beneficial to them as adults.  Instead of relying on the teacher to direct them and tell them exactly what to do and where to find information, students will have the chance to explore different topics on their own or in groups. 
I appreciated that Daniels and Zemelman touched on the Next Generation Science Standards because these are the standards I most likely be using in the future.  D&Z state that “we can be more strategic in what we emphasize, going deeper into a smaller number of topics exactly as the Next Generation Science Standards suggest,” (pg. 273).  When I attended the RI Science Teacher’s Association conference last month, the key note speaker Dr. Stephen Pruitt, who was a leader in developing the NGSS, discussed these new standards in more detail.  The standards are based on tying together content, practice, and crosscutting concepts and I can see that a lot of inquiry goes into the practice portion of this.


Chapter 11 discussed how to provide help and support for students who struggle with reading.  This can be a challenge especially for teachers who do not have a lot of background in teaching reading.  D&Z provide many suggestions, some of which have already been touched upon in previous chapters.  I agree that it is important to have strong relationships with all students and that they have to see that their teachers care about them and believe that they can succeed.  I can now see how modeling, promoting self-monitoring, providing the right materials in various formats, and building engagement can also assist those students who may be struggling with reading.

2 comments:

  1. Gemma, I couldn't agree more about the relationship with students. The students can see right through fakes. The teachers that come a few minutes before 1st period and leave right at the end of school are the people who think of teaching as a job. The students know who the teachers are that are invested in education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gemma,
    I thought it was interesting and crucial for the students that struggle in reading to understand science material. I was one of those students who loved science for the biologists and figuring out how our world came to be but hated chemistry. You didn't specify which science? but either way I will be working with the NGSS this summer and I am excited about it. Mostly, because there will be a lot of hands on learning and I think that what this chapter touched on especially. Which is having students do the work.

    ReplyDelete